recommendations for further Subaru exposures

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 16:45:35 PST

    I have done a little experiment based on the previously described code,
    sxdf.pro wherein I have studied the improvement made if we can add
    images with 0.9" seeing (or better) tonight at Subaru. I tested adding
    5 exposures of 240s each to each of the five fields. Then I tested
    adding 10 such exposures. From this I have reached the following
    conclusion.

    1) All fields will reach full depth if they each an additional have 5x240s
    2) Fields 5, 2, and 3 are helped the most by 5 x 240s
    3) Field 1 is also helped significantly, and since
    4) It will be the most expensive to reach full depth on Field 4

    From these conclusions I have developed the following recommendations,
    which I present in a tiered fashion since I don't know how much i' time
    there will be tonight.

    1) Obtain 5 x 240s on field 1 if FWHM < 0.9" (because this has phot-z's)
    2) Obtain 5 x 240s on field 2 if FWHM < 0.9"
    3) Obtain 5 x 240s on field 5 if FWHM < 0.9"
    4) Obtain 5 x 240s on field 3 if FWHM < 0.9"
    5) Obtain additional 2 x 240s on field 1 if FWHM < 0.9"

    As I was writting this, news arrived from Naoki that they are switching
    to SuprimCam on Nov 4 and Nov 5. Assuming good conditions, one can see
    from the above that we really only need a few more hours to reach
    full depth in i'. On the other hand, the for forecast for tonight calls
    for cirrus.

    - Greg

    Results of adding 5 and 10 x 240s with FWHM = 0.9" to the news for
    each SXDF field.

      New | Sum all for each field | Sum <= 0.9" for each field
     Images | 1 2 3 4 5 | 1 2 3 4 5
     0 | 0.75 0.79 0.82 0.71 0.92 | 0.61 0.69 0.64 0.47 0.75
     5@240s | 1.07 1.10 1.13 1.03 1.23 | 0.92 1.00 0.95 0.77 1.05
    10@240s | 1.39 1.42 1.45 1.34 1.56 | 1.23 1.31 1.26 1.09 1.36