Re: relative depth of Friday night Subaru data

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 14:58:05 PST

    On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 02:50:27PM -0800, Greg Aldering wrote:
    > The summary is that if we coadd everything, the effective depths relative
    > to 50 minute exposure with 0.8" seeing are 0.75, 0.79, 0.82, 0.71 and
    > 0.92 in fields 1-5, respectively. If we only sum images with FWHM < 0.9"
    > then the relative effective depths are 0.61, 0.69, 0.64, 0.47 and
    > 0.75, respectively.

    This is useful information. It looks like, in general, with the images
    we have it doesn't *hurt* to add more worse seeing images. As such, the
    first sums we should do should be including *all* the news, and try the
    "better seeing" subset later (time permitting).

    It does surprise me a bit that it doesn't hurt to add worse seeing
    images-- although it's always incremental, there's never a real terrible
    jump in seeing.

    Note that the way you describe the method is a good model of what should
    really happen when the code decides what aperture to use in searching
    and photometry, so the results should have a good bearing on reality.

    (Another wrinkle, of course, is cloud transparency. Adding images with
    poor transparency adds noise out of proportion to the signal they
    contribute.)