With no data from last night (again), here's the decision for HST.

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 08:59:46 PDT

    Gemini didn't open, so we didn't get any more info from there or from
    VLT. However, we did learn more about the candidates that were on the
    SDF field, since we got a message from Mamoru (appended below) with
    photometric redshifts and galaxy-type info. Since we have to put at
    least one of our two lower-redshift HST slots on an SDF field, we
    decided to go ahead and start following S02-075 /SDF5. We will try
    (again!) to get its spectrum here at Gemini tonight, and also look at
    its HST image that we will observe on Monday (we have well over a week
    to do this-- what luxury!), and then decide whether we want to continue
    following it or else save the final 4 orbits (out of 6) for that
    candidate. Mamoru said that the SDF team was also willing to try to
    get a spectrum of it while they are doing other multi-slit work in the
    middle of June (and we can also try again with the Gemini queue in the
    beginning of June), so we will probably end up at least getting its
    redshift, and maybe supernova light if it turns out to be on the way up
    now.

    The other two HST slots were assigned to: (1) T02-015 (SN at z=0.912),
    and (2) getting final reference images of Boccerini for one orbit (and
    then cancelling the rest of the orbits in that slot and saving them for
    next fall).

    You know, given this *incredibly* bad, non-stop unusable weather it is
    pretty amazing that we are nonetheless successfully following a z=0.91
    supernova -- and that we managed to salvage almost all of our committed
    HST orbits so we can "live to observe another day." (We also came up
    with some rather cute ideas for what we might like to try with the
    orbits in upcoming runs -- which we'll have to discuss later.)

    When we wake up later today, we'll try to make sure we know where we
    stand with the other supernova follow-up decisions for the next few days
    and weeks. (At VLT/FORS2, the first priority will presumably be
    getting spectra of the SNe that CFHT will be doing rolling followup
    for. If the z=1.1 SN from last month still needs more IR
    signal-to-noise, this might be a good time for ISAAC to go for it.)

    Good work everybody for this more frustrating stage of this multi-month
    run! I think we'll still get some pretty nice data out of it yet, just
    not everything we were targeting.

    Goodnight/goodmorning