New candidates from CTIO/Subaru xtel subtraction

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 17:45:49 PDT

    There are two new candidates below T02-058 and T02-059. Read on.

    Half of a CTIO field was subtracted from April 9 Subaru images of
    SubSS1. These are *new fields*. This image was taken for CFHT
    cross-telescope subtractions, but CFHT only overlapped half of the CTIO
    field. I realized only today that we had Subaru images that overlapped
    the other half of this CTIO exposure. Note that this is at 14h+5, and
    Subaru did *not* observe this field in May.

    Note that the cross-telescope subtaction has a mismatched filter. If
    you scan it, you will need to spend a long time in quickscan carefully
    elmiminating clusters of "green" candidates around bright stars; you
    will still have a lot of things to vet in lineup, and even tiles.

    One thing you sould do immeiately: SET YOUR %INC TO 25 OR 30. This is
    not the usual "Rob whining about percent increase"; there is a serious
    reason specific to these subtractions. The filter mismatch means that
    you get a *lot* of candidates which have a %INC of 15-30 on the core of
    a small (pointlike) object. A higher %INC cut is something we must
    accept if we are going to use these cross-telescope subtractions.
    (Nobody will be surprised that I'm not shedding tears about that.) Be
    very suspicious of any candidate from this cross-telescope subtraction
    with a lowish %INC unless it is patently off the core of its host. (And
    a NeighDist of 1 doesn't always cut it, since sometimes the shapes
    particularly of low-sigma cnadidates aren't great.)

    Note that I have scanned all four fields, but others are invited to do
    so. The subtractions are

       H4c_2002may7-9_subxtel
       H4d_2002may7-9_subxtel
       H4g_2002may7-9_subxtel
       H4h_2002may7-9_subxtel

    THE NEW CANDIDATES:

    I do not believe T02-058, and suspect it may be junk. T02-059 looks
    promising.

    RA and Dec should be "close".... but could be off by several
    arcseconds. Those making finding charts should do a careful job of
    figuring out the real RA and Dec of these candidates.

    Magnitudes here are Landolt-based I-band magnitudes just like most of
    what the DeepIDL software spits out from CFHT and CTIO.

    name name2 RA2000 Dec2000 Prio Mag ApSig %INC
    T02-058 Ioreth 14:01:15.6 +05:36:11.4 3 24.20 8.40 35
    T02-059 Boromir 14:01:29.4 +05:35:16.0 4 23.92 10.88 78

    NRL or Alex: could you make a finding chart at least for the latter?
    I have copied my "tiles" of these candidates into $dh/tiles_ps on the
    SCP PCs.

    -Rob