quick summary of candidate assessment meeting

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 00:57:10 PDT

    Hello everyone,

    Gerson, Saul, Alex, Val, Tony and I met at LBNL Thursday around 6 pm to
    examine where we stand on candidates. The idea was to start to look at
    what we might observe at Keck and what TNG to try to observe in the
    next three nights. The very quick summary is that we more or less
    agreed with Rob's earlier assessment, and have also looked at and
    assessed a number of new candidates in SDFe and SDFw.

    One note on this: the SDFw and SDFe candidates come from the regions
    formed by the intersection of the Subaru dithers. Rob is working on
    subtractions from the union of the Subaru dithers. Therefore, we expect
    more SDFe and SDFw candidates. Also, we will be getting SDF-proper
    candidates from Naoki and Mamoru.

    Here I give the candidate name, an overall assessment in layman's terms
    (look at SNTrak for a numerical translation), and where we think the
    candidate fits in terms of follow-up. Possible follow-up options were
    "HST", "rolling" (if CFHT will get lightcurves), and "ground" for
    targeted ground-based follow-up (WIYN, TNG, etc.). The ACTUAL followup
    will depend on what spectroscopy shows. For the SDFe/w candidates (all
    those with S02-xxx) I provide an approximate Kron-Cousins I-band
    magnitude estimate from Alex Conley.

    Name I-mag Plan Assessment
    T02-015 24.0 HST cand very good - spectroscopy target
    C02-027 23.0 rolling good - spectroscopy target
    C02-020 23.9 HST cand good, but FROGS haven't confirmed
    C02-026 24.1 HST cand good - spectroscopy target
    C02-023 23.9 poor - wait for CFHT confirmation
    C02-025 24.4 poor - wait for CFHT confirmation
    C02-016 22.6 rolling spectrum taken
    C02-028 22.2 rolling poor - lightcurve rise not Ia-like
    C02-029 22.1 rolling poor - weird lightcurve
    Troudux ??.? rolling fair - worth a spectrum to see what it is
    S02-056 poor - do not pursue
    S02-057 24.5 HST cand very good - spectroscopy target
    S02-058 22.8 ground very good - spectroscopy target
    S02-059 poor - do not pursue
    S02-060 25.3 HST cand very good - spectroscopy target if great seeing
    S02-061 25.5 HST cand good - spectroscopy target if great seeing
    S02-061 poor - do not pursue
    S02-064 22.3 ground good - spectroscopy target (if time)
    S02-063 25.6 HST cand? good - probably too faint for spectroscopy
    S02-065 25.2 suspect - do not pursue
    S02-066 25.6 HST cand? fair - probably too faint for spectroscopy
    S02-067 not convincing - do not pursue
    S02-068 not convincing - do not pursue
    T02-037 R=22.3 ground very good - spectroscopy target
    T02-028 R=22.7 ground fair - spectroscopy target if time
    T02-029 R=21.3 ground probably OK - need conf. spectrum
    T02-030 R=23.2 ground we judged this as suspect -
                                hard to assess since ref is so bad
    T02-047 R=22.9 ground ok - spectroscopy target
    T02-055 R=23.9 ugly - do not pursue

    Note to Rob, Pilar, and Javier: the objects where the plan says
    "ground" are ones we thought were worth considering for TNG follow-up.

    Note to Isobel and Chris: There are spectroscopy targets which could be
    started at Gemini and VLT. In particular, if the brighter ones in the
    SDFe/w or 14h+05d can be done prior to Keck this might help save time
    at Keck. The idea here being that Gemini and VLT are required to do
    imaging acquistions even for brighter targets, so doing the brighter
    targets at Gemini/VLT saves set-up time at Keck. Of course after the
    last run it is unclear whether the Keck time should be considered the
    most valuable!

    Thanks to Rob for the previous assessment which helped us in making
    these new assesments.

    - Greg