Re: early (10Hr) candidates

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 15:54:18 PDT

    On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 03:49:55PM -0700, Greg Aldering wrote:

    > Does anyone have a rationale for following the "BEGINNING OF THE NIGHT"
    > candidates listed by Rob in his last e-mail? At Keck the SDF will be
    > visible at twilight, so all resources will be directed there and then
    > to the 14h+05d region.
    >
    > I guess if we have an excess of spectroscopy time we could confirm the
    > early-night candidates, however, these really can't be followed for
    > long (2 weeks or so) at WIYN or TNG.

    I would say put them at lower priority. However, some are pretty
    bright, and if you spend (say) 1/2 hour at the beginning of the night
    each night at Keck and/or VLT on them, we might confirm them; it's
    conceivable we'll get a usable lightcurve out of it. Not terribly far
    down, but enough to get a stretch.

    In any event, it is definitely important to go after the best
    *end*-of-night candidates. I believe 14h+5 will set at Keck before the
    end of the night; it certainly will at WIYN and TNG come June, so it
    would be nice to have confirmed candidates there.

    -Rob