Results of SDFw Subaru searching today

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 22:41:48 PDT

    We managed to find a number of reasonably promising candidates in the
    SDFw data today. As usual, check sntrak and the finding chart
    page ( panisse.lbl.gov/followup/charts/spring_2002 ) for a bit
    more information and to look at the tiles. Better magnitudes
    are at the end of this email.

    One caveat, and it's a big one, is that the magnitudes are royally
    f___ed up. The problem seems to be poor APM (USNO, really) matching
    leading to nonsensical zeropoint values. I thought that we had this
    beat because there were some standard star observations obtained a month
    ago that I believed I had managed to kludge in, but apparently I was
    mistaken. Hopefully we can improve on this situation tomorrow, but
    for the moment I have attempted to make some rough corrections to
    the magnitudes. I've done this by comparing the reference zeropoint
    that the subtraction software used to what I think it should be based
    on the zeropoints from a month ago and the exposure time.

    Here is a correction table (this takes magnitudes in the subtraction
    to i'(AB) magnitudes, which is what Subaru/SCP chose to calibrate in.
    You probably want to subtract abou 0.5 mag to get to Johnson-Cousins I).
    This should ONLY be applied to the SDFw subtractions already completed.

    chip name chip num delta_mag (add)
    scama 6 6.985
    scamb 7 2.358
    scamc 2 8.195
    scamd 3 3.913
    scame 8 2.207
    scamf 0 1.931
    scamg 1 6.318
    scamh 5 37.85
    scami 4 37.81
    scamj 9 6.694

    Here the chip num is the DET-ID tag in the header, and we've assigned
    the letters out of order to give the chips a vaguely logical arrangement
    on the sky (the DET-IDs are arranged in historical installation order,
    which turns out to be almost random).

    Now -- what does this mean for the candidates that we saved?
    For those too lazy to do the math themselves, here's another handy
    table:

    Name(s) i'(AB)
    S02-056 26.33
    S02-057 / Balrog 24.96
    S02-058 / Bard 23.34
    S02-059 / Bombur 26.44
    S02-060 / Lotho 25.79
    S02-061 / Tom_Bombadil 26.03

    Remember you need to subtract ~0.5 to approximate normal I band.

    Okay, that was a long email. One last thing

      Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
      Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
      None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
      His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

    Alex