TNG planning questions/statements

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 16:48:06 PDT

    For the TNG time this Friday: are there any candidates left over from
    the April search we might want to follow? Or will it be based entirely
    on the current candidates?

    In the magnitude range relevant for TNG, to my knowledge the current
    candidates are what we have found at CTIO in addition to
    C02-016/VotezChirax. Let me know if there are others I should be
    watching. (Whether or not we do C02-016 will depend on whether or not
    CFHT is clear; if they are clear, then they will be getting its
    lightcurve, and TNG won't need to. If they are cloudy, then perhaps TNG
    can "rescue" C02-016's lightcurve.) (Astronomy is an ongoing adventure.)

    Note also that the first TNG night is before the first Keck night, so if
    I can get my hands on the data very quickly I can use it as confirmation
    before the Keck run. The second TNG night is the same as the second
    Keck night; since the sun will set in La Palma first, TNG will not have
    the benefit of Keck spectral confirmations when deciding what it wants
    to do. Also, I doubt that there will be time to use the *second* TNG
    night as confirmation for Keck, since it's all in one night. By the
    third TNG night, hopefully we can base part of what we do on the results
    of the first Keck night.

    I will keep track of what needs to be done at TNG; I will send an
    updated list each day based on what happened the day before. This does
    mean that I will need a pretty thorough night report from the Keck
    observers after the first night.

    -Rob