Re: HST options [from Greg]

From: Mamoru Doi (doi@ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 00:02:15 PDT

    Hi,

    I called the Subaru summit. As Isobel says, thick clouds are crossing by,
    but they say it is getting better. The image size of Suprime-Cam is currently
    around 0.6arcsec in i'.

    We will have one field tonight (even if it is hazy), and another field tomorrow
    night. (Tomorrow night looks better than tonight from satellite maps.)

    It is very hard to predict something. But probably we will have
    search images in two fields at least, which are minimum for one SNe at z~1.2?

    -Mamoru

    >I can tell you that its pretty bad at Mauna Kea now - we have patchy thick
    >cloud. I am trying to observe with GMOS and we have huge fluctuations in
    >guide signal (several magnitudes) on the order of ~1 minute timescale.
    >Seeing isn't too awful though - we're getting 0.85" in r.
    >
    >Isobel.

    Mamoru Doi
    Institute of Astronomy
    School of Science