HST options [from Greg]

From: Michael Wood-Vasey (wmwood-vasey@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 22:54:47 PDT

    From Greg:

    ====================

    Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 22:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Greg Aldering <aldering@panisse.lbl.gov>
    To: deepnews@lbl.gov
    Subject: options

    Some food for thought:

    If we are very uncertain about whether we can get a z~1.2 SN from this
    search, we could put in a cancellation by 9 am PST tomorrow (Wednesday)
    morning and recoup *all* 16 HST orbits. This is allowed because we
    scheduled this SN with a slew option (which required special
    permission).

    If we do not _cancel_ this Wednesday, but DO decide to _cancel_ next
    Wednesday (our nominal post-Keck deadline) because we don't have a
    suitable SN, there would be to 10 orbits which we would have to use for
    final references. Six of these would be in slightly non-optimal
    filters (e.g. F775W rather than F814W). (This is not a terrible
    alternative.)

    If the Subaru observations go well tonight, then we do not need to
    worry about excercising this option. Thus, it would be very useful if the
    Subaru observers can let us know how the observations are progressing.
    If the Subaru observers are not on-line, perhaps the CFHT observers can
    check in on them, or at least report the Mauna Kea summit conditions
    (through 2 am HST tonight - when the SDF is up).

    - Greg

    P.S. For those who are curious, this got bounced because of the
    one of the "cancel"s in the first line of the second paragraph.
    I added the underscores to get it by the mailing daemon.
    I really hate this "feature".