Re: cross telescope subtraction

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 19:28:50 PDT

    > I looked at 2 of the 4 X-tel subtractio0ns. My conclusion:
    > about 3 to 4 times harder to scan .
    > series of lines which look like interference bands.
    > a lot of false candidates on these lines.
    > if looked at with zoom the junk can (laboriously ) be eliminated.
    > I believe that SNe could be found.

    There is residual fringing in the reference images. I suspect it's
    because the Frogs only had two fields-- much harder to make a good
    reference field. I tried to make a fringe map myself from their
    flatfielded data, and had no success; I eventually gave up.

    With same-telescope data, the fringes would partially cancel each
    other. Of course, no such luck with cross-telescope data.

    There's nothing to it but to laboriously eliminate the junk. That's the
    game we play. It's harder, but we have to grin and bear it. Not
    everything is roses.

    -Rob