Urgent topics: CFHT upcoming search nights & VLT followup

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 16:58:23 PDT

    Hi Pierre, Reynald, Julien, Ariel, and Chris,

        At the phone meeting we realized that there is a rather short (or negative?)
    time between the CFHT discovery nights on May 2 and 4 and the VLT spectroscopy
    followup half-nights on May 4, 5, and 6. In principle we have saved about 14
    hours of VLT time to be used up in these three half nights (so the weather better be
    close to perfect) -- and this is purely for the CFHT discoveries. (Note that the
    CTIO discoveries will be too late, and the Suburu fields observed this month are not
    visible from the southern hemisphere.)

        So the issue is to make sure that the CFHT data from May 2 can be analyzed fast
    enough to have all the candidates and their finding charts on the web in time for
    May 4 at VLT, and then (even harder) try to analyze the CFHT data from May 4 in time
    for May 5 at the VLT, if possible. Last month, obviously, was a slower requirement
    (and a chance to get the software ready), but does this sound reasonable for this
    month?

        One other minor suggestion: It's probably a good idea to come up with some
    easy-to-use supernova candidate numbers that you use to identify the CFHT supernovae
    (at least until you get them into the SNtrak database, after which we can use the
    C02-XXX name). We were having a problem with all of the international team trying
    to keep track of all the hard to spell/pronounce/remember Asterix names(!) and other
    names -- and this was particularly a problem when it came time to check to make sure
    that all of the supernova candidates were in fact registered in the SNtrak
    comprehensive list.

        Last topic: please send deepnews anything you guys know now about who will be
    where (and how to contact them) during the upcoming search nights (and what part of
    the analysis you're expecting to do where), so everybody knows in time for the next
    steps.

        Now we just have to hope for some very lucky weather!! See you soon (some of
    you?). --Saul