Further tests on S02-002

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 14:13:13 PDT

    Hi,
    some more fuel on he S02-002 case...

    The flux-calibrated spectra of S02-002 that Chris and Gaston produced
    gives R-I=1.3. The FORS2 spectrum misses the blue end of the R-band,
    but I don't think that makes a big difference. Now, for z=1.08 at
    max one expects R-I=1.4 (and 1.0 for z=0.85 *at max*) (with Rob's version
    of Peter's SNIA template). Note, of course that the FORS spectra have
    some galaxy contamination. I would like to repeat the exercise with the
    spectra that Andy can produce, with some sort of galaxy subtraction.

    With the updated calibration, it all starts to make sense... and we
    may finally have a good HST candidate!

    I think the case is now good enough to ask for z-band imaging at GMOS
    tomorrow. Expected I-z at z=1.08 is about 0.4

    Cheers,
        Ariel

    Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
    FYSIKUM, Stockholm University
    Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy & Biotechnology
    tel: +46 8 55378659