Disappointing night #2 at Keck.

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:23:46 PDT

    As you will gather from looking at the web page with the observing log,
    this was an extrememly disappointing night at Keck. We tried
    progressively brighter candidates because the seeing and cirrus were
    making it difficult or impossible to get any signal at all for faint
    objects. The only real SN spectrum data was for C02-000, which I
    believe looked like a fine z ~ 0.25 SN (I don't have it front of me
    now), but this is hardly what we were trying to get tonight.

    We also continued to be plagued by astrometry and acquisition
    problems. We can't tell for sure if we have reliable offsets and
    offset stars (the Subaru team using their astrometry did not get all the
    same offsets as on our latest finding charts). We also don't find
    complete closed-loop reproducability for our multi-star fits of the
    guider field (or ESI direct image) to the finding chart FITS image.

    Well, the first thing to hope for is much better weather this next
    night. Then we'll have to think a little more about our observing
    order and strategy (particulary after some of us are a little more
    awake).

        Goodnight/goodmorning