possible mistake in P99 lightcurve fits

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 11:51:03 PDT

    Do you guys remember exactly how you did the V band fits in P99
    in which you forced the V stretch and date of maximum to be the
    same as the B band fits?

    I've been trying to figure out how to do this, since Saul asked me to
    for my paper, and it turns out to not be as simple as it looks. If it
    is
    done in what seems like the obvious way it actually does something
    different, which may have affected the P99 fits.

    When you do a snmin fit, the output contains the best fit
    parameter t of B max. A typical value is around 0. This value
    can be fixed by editing the control file to the value you want and
    then adding a 'fix 1' line.

    The subtlety arises when you realize that this number is in a system
    that is relative only to the lightcurve being fit -- that is, fixing
    t of B max to -11 will mean different things to a B only and V only
    fit to the same supernova because the B and V lightcurves are not
    identical. To first order this date system is relative to the brightest
    point in the lightcurve in question.

    A simple example may help clarify what I mean. Imagine a
    SN with B observations on day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and V band observations
    on days 5,6 and 7. The brightest B point is on day 2, and the brightest
    V on day 5. Say that the snmin fit returns t = +0.2, which would mean
    that in real days the date of maximum is 2+0.2 = 2.2. Next imagine that
    you want to do the V band fit, and you edit the control file to fix the
    first
    parameter at 0.2, which is what you got from the B fit. The problem is
    that in the V frame t=0.2 actually means 5+0.2 = 5.2, which is not
    at all the same.

    So, you might wonder, if this is the case, shouldn't it have been
    obvious
    from the fits? Not necessarily, because most of the time if there is
    color information is is taken around peak, so the brightest point will
    probably have both B and V. It isn't quite this simple because of
    random fluctuations and what not, but for most lightcurves the B and
    V band frame that snminuit works in will be pretty close -- but not
    always.
    In addition, I suspect that this piece of code doesn't understand the
    difference between the B and V peak dates, so you can expect to be
    systematically off by 1-2 days, depending on whose SN template you
    are using.

    Note that this should not affect the primary results of P99, since the
    B max is not affected. It should affect the color estimates, so the fit
    with extinction correction will be affected. It also doesn't affect K03
    because Rob would have nothing to do with this fitting method.

    So -- do either of you remember the details of how you did these fits,
    and if you were aware of the potential difference in the date systems
    in different filters for the same supernova?

    Alex