99ac

From: Ana M. Mourao (amourao@ist.utl.pt)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 16:37:50 PST

    Hi,
    please find bellow some comments on the 1999ac paper
    Ana (in Lisbon)
    pag 8, line 3-5
    "This has no impact on the analysis presented, since we restrict focus to line
    profiles, which cover wavelength scales smaller than those affected by
    reddening."
    Question: it is not clear the scales you have in mind: each line/one by one
    or the total from the very blue to the very red (and in this case might be
    wrong).

    pag 11, 3rd paragraph, lines 4-5
    " Still, approximate techniques are used to make the process fast and
    interactive,
    but the results are powerful"

     -> the word "but" is probably not the best option.
        Change "but" to "and", or just write: "with powerful results"?

    pag 11, 3rd paragraph, lines 6-7
    Not very easy to read. What if it's changed to:
    ... In the latter case, the results of direct analysis may help to rule out
    or to select among
    hydrodynamical models, before extensive simulation calculations are
    performed. (...)

    pag 11, last paragraph, lines 1-2
     "based a simple" change to "based on a simple"
     "during the" change to "for the" or "appropriate" change
    to "applying"

    pag 13, very last phrase, comment on Ni III:
    Don't you find even stranger to get Fe III instead of Ni III at day -15?
    I understand that, for instance, the composition of the outermost layers of
    the SNe 91T was probably dominated by a time dependent mixture of 56Ni, 56Co
    and 56Fe.
    If this is the case for the 99ac, it is easier to have Ni III, rather than Fe
    III at day -15.

    Ejecta Geometry
    paragraph 2
    Discussion on the P-Cygni profile: I find it a bit confusing.
    Following your explanation, it is not clear in which referential we are
    supposed to be
    to understand it:
    - in the center of the star
    - in the observer's (at the telescope)
    - in the expanding layer
    What is red shifted for one, can be blue shifted for the other. From the
    text
    it looks like you start by putting yourself in the center o the star but
    after you "jump" to the "telescope" frame. According to the text
    it's hard to understand if you consider that in both ref frames light is
    blueshifted (and this is wrong, as you know).

    Do you assume that material moving PERPENDICULAR to the direction of
    observation will scatter light without Doppler effect?
    These layers are moving with velocities of 15000 Km/s and the dilation of
    time can be detected. I estimate this effect to be small, of order
    of 1.25/1000, Probably hard to detect. But for sure these perpendicular, and
    scattered in our direction, photons will not contribute to the blue part of
    the spectrum.

    The very last comment is that, even with the explanation in pag 24,
    I am not so convinced that 1999ac deserves a title in a paper with "Unusual".
    But that's ok. Too many "Unusual". Probably a note on a very peculiar spectral
    feature will help (carbon velocities? as in last year version)

    Ana M. Mourao, CENTRA e Dep. de Fisica
    IST, Univ. Tecnica de Lisboa
    phone: (351) 218417728
    fax: (351) 218419118